Top NCLEX Review Courses for Nurses 2024
You have successfully completed nursing school, but now there is one last hurdle to jump before you can receive your license and begin practicing. Even if you have been an exemplary student, passing the NCLEX can feel daunting. That's why there are a lot of NCLEX review courses out there to help you. But which one do you choose?
We're here to help you decide which NCLEX test prep course is right for you. Read on to find out the best NCLEX review courses based on cost, program details, length of access, and more.
Best NCLEX Review Courses Compared
NCLEX Pass Rate
30-180 days, depending on the package
1 month to 2-year access depending on package
99.25% pass rate
Personalized study plan
60 days, 90 days, or ongoing monthly
There are a lot of choices out there when it comes to NCLEX review courses and they are not all created equal. You’ll want to ensure you find the best combination of resources and support for a price that fits your budget. Nurse.org has ranked some of the best programs available to nursing students.
We ranked programs on the following criteria,
- Personalized customer service
- Format (online versus in person)
- Number of practice questions available
Get 10% OFF Nursing School Study Guides From nurseinthemaking.com! Fill out the form to get your exclusive discount.
The Best NCLEX Review & Prep Courses 2024
UWorld is one of the highest-rated prep courses by both experts and student users. This course offers an extensive bank of sample questions that mirror the style and difficulty of questions on the actual NCLEX-RN exam.
This allows you to not only test your knowledge but become familiar with the style of the test so that there are no surprises on test day.
Pros to UWorld
- Easy to use interface: UWorld has an intuitive design so you can easily navigate the dashboard. It also helps that it is almost identical to the NCLEX design, so everything will look and feel familiar when you take the test.
- Extensive question bank: You can take as many practice tests as you want and never worry about repeat questions.
- Mobile app: The mobile app allows you to access questions from your phone so you can practice no matter where you are.
- Thorough explanations: UWorld doesn’t just tell you whether your answer is correct or incorrect. It gives a rationale so you can learn and avoid mistakes down the road.
- Coverage of all subjects: The UWorld prep course does a great job of covering all the important subjects and avoids focusing too heavily on just one.
- Customer support: Good customer support in case you have any questions you need help with.
Cons to UWorld
- Cost: The cost of UWorld may be too much for some people to swallow, especially if you are fresh out of school and already stressed about finances. However, it does offer a range of plans at varying prices.
What is UWorld doing to help get people ready for the Next Generation NCLEX?
The UWorld website reports that their Next Generation NCLEX practice and traditional NCLEX-RN questions will challenge students to build on their clinical judgment skills.
They also explain how their NCLEX-RN QBank provides detailed explanations for both correct and incorrect answers, giving learners a clear understanding of the reasoning behind each question. To make complex processes more accessible, they also incorporate detailed medical illustrations and images to reinforce key concepts in students’ memories.
How Much Does UWorld NCLEX Test Prep Cost?
The cheapest option is 30-day access to a question bank of 2,300+ questions for $159. However, there is also a 60-day option for $189, a 90-day option for $249, and a 180-day option for $329.
As with any NCLEX review course, prices may change over time. It’s always good to check the websites for the most up-to-date information on pricing and subscription options.
The NURSING.com prep course was designed by an experienced RN looking for an easy and concise way to deliver NCLEX test prep material. It offers a unique teaching method centered on the idea of linchpin concepts that users really seem to respond to.
Pros to NURSING.com
- Variety of teaching materials: You get access to over 600 videos and audio lessons along with 900 pages of printable resources and 50 laminated clinical reference cards.
- Online study groups: Join a private study group that will offer you support and motivation.
- Money-back guarantee: If you pass their SIMCLEX test and don’t pass the exam, you are eligible for a 200% refund.
Cons to NURSING.com
- Poor customer service: There are quite a few reports of users running into problems and having to wait a few days for a response. If you are already stressed about the exam, the last thing you want is to have to hunt down customer support.
What is NURSING.com doing to help get people ready for the Next Generation NCLEX?
Nursing.com’s website states that they are prepared to help nursing students prepare for the Next Generation NCLEX by updating their prep courses with all NextGen question types. Their SIMCLEX exams also offer personalized and adaptive study suggestions to help students identify their strengths and weaknesses and create an NCLEX study plan tailored to their needs.
How Much Does NURSING.com Cost?
NURSING.com offers a variety of plans and prices.
Best value and long-term access include:
- Two years of access + NCLEX prep: $82/mo for six months
- One year of access +NCLEX prep: $82/mo for three months
- Monthly: $59
- Quarterly: $149
- Annually $249
Just SIMCLEX (NCLEX simulation exam)
- 1 SIMCLEX attempt: $99
- 3 SIMCLEX attempts: $199
- 5 SIMCLEX attempts: $249
*Indicates an affiliate link. At no additional cost to you, Nurse.org may earn a commission if you click through and use this service.
Kaplan is a trusted and recognizable name in test prep and a great choice to help you study for the NCLEX.
Pros to Kaplan NCLEX Test Prep
- Question analysis training: Kaplan doesn’t just help you memorize answers. It, teaches you how to break down and understand questions so that you can reason through problems and develop a strategy for choosing the right answer.
- Plenty of practice questions: There are thousands of questions in the Kaplan test bank.
- Mobile app: Study on the go and access practice questions from your phone or tablet.
- Diagnostic test: This test will identify your strengths and weaknesses and help you focus your studies.
- Pass guarantee: If you take the test within six months of graduation and don’t pass after using the Kaplan course, you may be eligible for a 100% refund or an additional three months of enrollment.
Cons to Kaplan NCLEX Test Prep
- Cost: Kaplan comes with a hefty price tag although it might be worth the money if it means passing the NCLEX on your first try.
How Much Does Kaplan NCLEX Test Prep Cost?
Pricing ranges from $425-$525 for the self-paced and live online prep course options. They also offer practice options that consist of Qbank, CAT, and access to their Nursing Channel that range from $129- $229.
Hurst is one of the few test prep companies specializingin the NCLEX, which means it comes with a few more specialized features.
Pros to Hurst NCLEX Test Prep
- Extensive question bank: Access to thousands of questions and an eBook.
- Builds critical thinking skills: Their organized and strategic approach to reviewing core content and developing critical thinking will help you tackle difficult questions.
- Focuses on testing strategies: Hurst provides strategies that are specific to the NCLEX exam.
- Four review exams: You can take four different exams that follow the pattern of the NCLEX.
- Support: You'll receive support from nursing coaches who will help you through the course.
- Various learning options: Choose between a live class, online class or streaming webinar.
Cons to Hurst NCLEX Test Prep
- There are no major complaints against Hurst. Students and experts both seem to like the program, especially since there are plenty of resources and options to support different types of learning.
What is Hurst doing to help get people ready for the Next Generation NCLEX?
Hurst is committed to helping nursing students prepare for the Next Generation NCLEX and even guarantees that students will pass the NCLEX on their first try. They also offer a range of both live review classes and self-paced online courses to accommodate different learning styles and schedules.
How Much Does Hurst NCLEX Test Prep Cost?
Hurst offers a variety of packages with the least expensive being 30-day access to an online question bank for $109. The live classroom instruction and the online live stream courses both cost $399. The online class comes with 90-day access and costs $249.
Here are all of Hurst's study options and costs:
- Three-day live option: $399
- Three-day N-Stream (from home): $399
- 90-day online review course: $249
- 120-day online review course: $339
- Qbank (customizable question bank): $109
- Elevate study course: $99
- Acid-Base Balance interactive learning series: $29.99
ATI is another test prep service that solely serves nursing students. Some users prefer this level of specialization from their test prep provider because it can mean less of a focus on testing in general and more on the specific challenges of the NCLEX.
Pros to ATI NCLEX Test Prep
- NCLEX style questions: The review material is similar to the NCLEX style so you can get used to the questions. They also offer extensive rationale reports.
- Mobile app: All the materials are online and accessible from your phone or tablet.
- Diagnostic exams: Testing can identify your strengths and weaknesses and help you focus your efforts.
- Live coaches: Live coaches who will help you review the test.
Cons to ATI NCLEX Test Prep
- Not everyone gets the live coaches: While ATI sells live coaches as a great feature, not all students enjoy or benefit from this teaching method.
- Inconsistent: Students have reported inconsistent instruction and a lack of cohesion between segments.
- Live Locations are Limited: Limited locations for LIVE class review. You may not be able to attend live classes close to home.
- Dull Material: Delivery of material can be boring. While ATI offers an extensive database of information and questions, some users were turned off by how dry it is.
What is ATI doing to help get people ready for the Next Generation NCLEX?
ATI offers personal education through a 12-week preparation review and will have an updated Virtual-ATI 2.0 course soon.
ATI also offers a pass rate guarantee. If a graduate receives the Virtual-ATI “green light,” tests for NCLEX within three weeks but fails the NCLEX, additional 12-week access will be offered for free.
How Much Does ATI Cost?
If you are an existing ATI member, you can save money on the course, but new customers will pay $525 for the RN course. Here are the ATI options:
- Virtual-ATI NCLEX-RN Review course: $525
- BoardVitals NCLEX Prep - 12-week access: $159
Pros to SimpleNursing’s NCLEX Prep
- Massive Video Library: Over a thousand fun and visual videos to help remediate and fill your knowledge gaps. A real game changer for folks who are tired of textbooks and practice questions.
- Video Rationales: In-depth video-based rationales are provided for each question that breaks down the science and best test-taking strategy for each question. More and more students have found that they are audio/visual learners, which makes SimpleNursing stand out in this area.
- Comprehensive & Adaptive Assessment Exams: Assessments scientifically identify your learning coverage gaps so you can maximize the impact of your study time. They also help you determine if you're ready to write the real exam.
- Top Knotch Practice Questions: Only the most highly tested topics are covered. The content and concepts you see tested here is what you’ll need to know to pass the NCLEX.
Cons to SimpleNursing’s NCLEX Test Prep
- Not All Videos Have Animation: The animated videos are perhaps SimpleNursing’s most fun and most loved videos. They are currently working to create animation for some of their older videos.
What is Simple Nursing doing to help get people ready for the Next Generation NCLEX?
Simple Nursing does not directly mention the Next-Gen NCLEX on its website; however, they boast a 96% NCLEX pass rate with many positive reviews from former students.
How Much Does SimpleNursing Cost?
For monthly access, SimpleNursing charges $99/month. Sixty days is $75/month ($149), and 90 days is $66/month ($199).
Get 5 FREE study guides from Simplenursing.com - fill out the form for instant access!
1. Fluid & Electrolytes study guide
2. EKG Rhythms study guide
3. Congestive Heart Failure study guide
4. Lab Values study guide
5. Metabolic Acidosis & Alkalosis study guide
How to Choose the Right NCLEX Review Course for You
If you want the absolute best in test prep courses and resources, be prepared to spend upwards of $300. When cost isn’t the deciding factor, your best bet is to think about how you learn best and choose a course that speaks to your learning style.
If online courses work for you, there are plenty of options with review support and coaching.
Can I study for NCLEX in 2 weeks?
- While it is possible to study for the NCLEX for two weeks and still pass, it would be wise to put more study time in to ensure that you pass it on your first try. The earliest date students can take the NCLEX-RN exam varies depending on what state you live in, but most test about 45 days after the date of their graduation.
How do I review for the NCLEX?
- You can prepare for your NCLEX by enrolling in a test prep program that will give you study materials, practice questions, and practice exams.
What is the NCLEX pass rate?
- In 2022, the pass rate for the NCLEX from BSN programs was 82.32% and 77.91% from ADN programs. Overall, the total average pass rate for BSN, ADN, and diploma programs in the U.S. was 79.90%.
More NCLEX Tips and Tricks
- How to Pass the NCLEX the First Time
- What Does the NCLEX Consist of?
- How to Answer NCLEX Drop-Down Questions
- How to Answer NCLEX Highlight Questions
- Signs You Failed the NCLEX (And What to Do If You Did Fail)
Nurse.org's Popular Articles and Resources
Non-Bedside Nursing Jobs
Looking for a change beyond the bedside? Check out our list of the top non-bedside nursing careers
15 Highest Paying Nursing Jobs in 2023
You know all nursing jobs aren’t created (or paid!) equally, but do you know which nurses are making the most money in 2023?
2023's Best Nursing Schools
We've looked at programs nationwide and determined these are our top schools
Best Shoes for Nurses in 2023
We had nurses wear top-rated shoes to work and give their honest reviews. These are the best nursing shoes as rated by nurses.