Physician Extender (PA II/NP II) - 639352
Leidos Biomedical Research Bethesda, MD
Within the Leidos Biomedical Research Inc.’s Clinical Research Directorate, the Clinical Monitoring Research Program (CMRP) provides high-quality comprehensive and strategic operational support to the high-profile domestic and international clinical research initiatives of the National Cancer Institute (NCI), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Clinical Center (CC), National Institute of Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS), National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), and the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). Since its inception in 2001, CMRP’s ability to provide rapid responses, high-quality solutions, and to recruit and retain experts with a variety of backgrounds to meet the growing research portfolios of NCI, NIAID, CC, NHLBI, NIAMS, NCATS, NINDS, and NIMH has led to the considerable expansion of the program and its repertoire of support services. CMRP’s support services are strategically aligned with the program’s mission to provide comprehensive, dedicated support to assist National Institutes of Health researchers in providing the highest quality of clinical research in compliance with applicable regulations and guidelines, maintaining data integrity, and protecting human subjects. For the scientific advancement of clinical research, CMRP services include comprehensive clinical trials, regulatory, pharmacovigilance, protocol navigation and development, and programmatic and project management support for facilitating the conduct of 400+ Phase I, II, and III domestic and international trials on a yearly basis. These trials investigate the prevention, diagnosis, treatment of, and therapies for cancer, influenza, HIV, and other infectious diseases and viruses such as hepatitis C, tuberculosis, malaria, and Ebola virus; heart, lung, and blood diseases and conditions; parasitic infections; rheumatic and inflammatory diseases; and rare and neglected diseases. CMRP’s collaborative approach to clinical research and the expertise and dedication of staff to the continuation and success of the program’s mission has contributed to improving the overall standards of public health on a global scale.
THIS POSITION IS OFFERING A $2,500 SIGN-ON BONUS
The Clinical Monitoring Research Program (CMRP) provides comprehensive, dedicated clinical research, nursing and physician support to the NCI’s Center for Cancer Research (CCR), Urologic Oncology Branch (UOB).
- Provides clinical care within the UOB in collaboration with physicians and health care professionals
- Performs a comprehensive physical assessment and documents findings in the appropriate format following institutional and protocol standards
- Assesses the general health status of patients through observation and the use of appropriate screening procedures
- Acquires patient data through health history taking that includes family history and significant social information
- Explains the care management/discharge plan to all members of the covering team (inpatient NPs, attendings) at sign-out
- Provides teaching and guidance related to the patient's current state of health and understanding of his/her disease to promote optimal performance
- Coordinates study enrollment, collaborates with nursing staff to provide protocol treatment, and provides follow up care for patients participating in clinical trials
- Assists the Principal Investigator (PI) in assuring informed consent forms have been signed, obtaining written consent for treatment, pharmacokinetics, and assessing patients on the study for complications
- Calculates the dose of and prescribes chemotherapy, investigational agents, medications, intravenous fluids and blood products according to established protocol, institutional, and practice guidelines
- Provides guidance in the management of specific problems for the patient resulting from chemotherapy, immunotherapy or other treatments
- Manages appropriate referrals to other specialists as indicated
- Screens new patient calls and provides phone triage for active patients
- Orders radiological studies, following protocols and patient care guidelines
- Orders and interprets lab studies
- Attends new patient consultations with the patient and family for the purpose of explaining the diagnosis, protocol, and treatment program, and establishing a rapport
- Completes initial and follow up assessments, progress notes and written correspondence to multidisciplinary personnel
- Serves as a clinical liaison to area hospices and/or home care agencies as needed or as appropriate
- Acts as a clinical liaison between inpatient and outpatient nurses in order to provide continuity of care to the hospitalized patient
- Maintains documented evidence of weekly case review with the collaborating physician
- Attends and participates in multidisciplinary meetings
- Practices within boundaries established by the Nurse Practice Act, State of Maryland and Medical Board of the Clinical Center
- Liaises with Leidos Biomed and various NCI staff to initiate and complete tasks relating to medicine and clinical protocols, and all activities related to nursing
- Performs clinical data recording and medical chart entries
- Dictates admission and discharge summaries
This position is located in Bethesda, Maryland in support of the Center for Cancer Research (CCR).
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- A Physician Assistant applicant must be a graduate from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors, at a college, university, or educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education. Must have successfully completed the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination. Must be Maryland State Board eligible.
- A Nurse Practitioner applicant must possess a degree/diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. Must have appropriate certification issued by the appropriate certifying body the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), or the American Nurse Credentialing Center (ANCC) as a Nurse Practitioner. Must be Maryland State Board eligible.
- All applicants: Eligibility includes documentation of a pending Maryland license.
- Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency.
- A Maryland license will need to be obtained prior to start of employment.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible nurse practitioner or relevant physician assistant experience in a multi-disciplinary clinical setting
- Direct work experience in oncology research
- Knowledge of relationships between diseases, health assessment, counseling, diagnostic testing procedures, broad base clinical areas such as pathophysiology, psychosocial theory, pharmacology, and primary medical management practices
- Ability to conduct studies according to established Good Clinical Practice (GCP) guidelines as defined by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) within the standard operating procedures (SOPs) and the Clinical Center’s Administrative Policies of the operational clinic
- Knowledge of prevention, etiology, therapies and new research developments
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients and health care providers
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Completion of an oncology research training program
- Experience in an in-patient setting
- Experience in Surgical Oncology
Listing provided by ZipRecruiterView Job